Friday, March 21, 2008

Peeking out at the world

I am in Colorado visiting my sister. As I sat waiting in the doctor's office for her this afternoon, I read a book and people watched. The receptionists were perhaps the friendliest women ever, I think that people here are way nicer than back home in Chicago. I still would never leave there, but people are so happy and friendly here. A family walked in, 2 kids and 2 parents. The wife was wearing a full on burqua. I am not sure how to spell that, but the full covering only eyes showing. I had a sharp reaction to seeing this woman, and was actually surprised at my feelings of anger and confusion. As they walked in the door the husband took the baby and walked to the counter and announced their arrival and signed in as the wife walked to the back corner of the waiting room with the young daughter and sat. THe only thing I could see were her eyes, through slits cut into the black cloth covering her head to toe. I smiled at her and her eyes crinkled in the corners and I believe she smiled back. Have I never seen a woman in complete cover like that before? I guess not. I have seen plenty of women in hijab (just head scarf) and dont look twice or feel pained for them but I was disturbed by this today. I have no right to make assertions that anyone is forcing her to dress in this manner, it could just as well be a personal choice of hers that she enjoyed. But why? Why would a woman need to be covered so completely, no anything showing? I am not an idiot. I have read several books and watched several documentaries on women in middle eastern countries and the issue of covering but never had I seen a woman so near to me so hidden. The husband seemed friendly and smiled at me, I always dress modestly and not excitingly(today jeans, barack my world sweatshirt, gym shoes) but I wondered what they thought of me and my attire. Did they care? We were the only ones in the waiting room at this point and I smiled at their daughter as we both looked at the enormous fish tanks and vibrantly colored fish. I just have to say it, What is the matter with the woman that she needed to be so completely covered up? How is this pleasing to any god or God? I believe in being modest, and not letting it all just hang out but in this situation I just saw fear. Fear of women, fear of losing their attention, fear of ideas of lust? I am still surprised at my reaction, i guess having read so much about this and studied other cultures I didn't realize the weight or how this would be or affect me. I am wondering how this could be a good thing for anyone? This is such a sensitive subject and people say all the time that you should respect other's traditions and cultures but that cultural identifier is not one of Christ or love or peace. I feel bothered, and burdened.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Personally, I think it's a form of slavery. If you're not hijab you aren't accepted by God, so they say. You lose your reward...

That's why Galatians is such a liberating book - it points out the madness of manufactured religions.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.

Anonymous said...

Sweet blog, I had not noticed murphysarah.blogspot.com earlier in my searches!
Continue the excellent work!